This project is now closed. No further development is being done on it.
This project is in no way related to the Buildcraft mod for Minecraft
). I came up with Buildcraft with after spending two weeks calling it “The Game” and deciding to concatenate the two main ideas I had at the time – building things, and crafting stuff. :)
The goal of this project is to provide me with a platform to explore patterns and practices, while at the same time creating a usable simple game engine with map editor and AI. I’m primarily interested in exploring the following aspects:
- how tight game loops differ from conventional business problems;
- how patterns can be used in combination to solve multi-faceted problems; and
- how AI integrates into a more complex game, and performs state evaluation and decision making.
On top of this, there are a number of features I want to combine:
- platform agnostic game core;
- node and join-based map;
- map editor;
- game state structure and manipulation operations;
- saving and loading game state;
- basic AI that operates on the game state;
- division of game state update and UI layer update; and
- scripting API and engine.
This should provide an interesting problem domain, and I am going to use this as the content for my blog http://tristan-rhodes.co.uk
The application has the following dependencies, which are bundled with the project in the assemblies folder. The links are for people who do not with to download the dependency dlls's:
- Sparx Enterprise Architect - Needed to open the .eap file and look at the diagrams.
- NCrunch - Just because it's nice to have.